Saturday, August 14, 2010

the best ever chocolate cake

I first saw / read about this cake here.  Man it looked good, my mouth started watering and I began wishing it was my birthday.  And yes, I need a picture .. a pretty picture just like her's.  Next time I bake, have fresh strawberries, my counter is clean and the camera is working, ok?  I promise!


Yes, it's true, it's based on a Hershey's ~gasp~ Chocolate recipe, but first Alice made changes and then I made a few more ...  do you do that too?  Follow a recipe to the T or do you make your own changes, additions, omissions?

Oh ... um ... I guess I should explain the gasp ... the truth is I'm a snob.  A real chocolate snob.  It began slowly when I met my husband and has blossomed into a full-blown, read every label, it has to be real before I eat it snob.  Plus, I live in Belgium now - 'nuf said :)


deep dark Chocolate Cake

1-1/2 cups * 330g sugar  (original recipe is for 2 cups, next time I'm going to try it with just 1 cup)
1-3/4 cups * 220g all-purpose flour
3/4 cup * 85g cocoa powder
1-1/2 
teaspoons * 6g baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons * 8g baking soda
1 teaspoon * __g salt
2 eggs
1 cup * 235ml milk
1/2 cup *120ml vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup * 235 ml steaming hot coffee (original recipe calls for boiling water, Alice uses half water / half coffee - I went whole hog and just used coffee, yumm!)


1. Heat oven to 350F / 175C. Grease* and flour two 9" round or one 9" x 13" rectangle pan.


2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Don't skip this step ... and blend well to prevent white "specks" in your cake where the flour hasn't mixed in thoroughly into the batter.

3. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; beat on medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes. 

4. Carefully stir in hot coffee - yes, the batter will be very thin. Pour batter into prepared pans.

5. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.

*These days I usually skip the grease step and just line the bottom of my pan with baking paper.  Makes removal from pan a no-brainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...