Thursday, February 24, 2011

poppy seed muffins! .. or bread

I am in heaven and I won't tell you how much of this I have eaten in the last week.  I baked it twice!


Axel and I have been making a list of things we are missing ... so far we've tallied up "the Kids," cherry pie, a really good chinese and a burger with the works (that's mine, not his).  Funnily enough, Poppy Seed muffins missed that list ... not sure how - they were my breakfast staple along with a non-fat triple-tall latte with a hint of raspberry (or peppermint or almond) for years! Well I can promise you this fixed that with this recipe ... now if I could just solve the good home-made latte thing ...

ALMOND POPPY SEED BREAD

1-1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
  1. Preheat oven to 350F / 175F.  Grease two 5"x9" loaf pans.
  2. Beat together milk, eggs, almond extract and oil.
  3. Add in sugar, flour, baking powder and salt and beat for 2 minutes.  Stir in poppy seeds.
  4. Divide the batter evenly between the pans and bake for 45-60 minutes (depending on your oven).  Remove from oven as soon as a toothpick comes out clean.  For muffins you'll have to check but I'm guessing about 20-25 minutes.  I like the bread because it keeps fresher and makes for a smaller portion.
  5. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.
  6. This freezes well if wrapped in a double layer of aluminum foil.  Defrost at room temperature before serving.
The verdict:  we loved them!  Axel says they taste just as good if not better than Costco poppyseed muffins!
 
So the recipe credit?  Well, I changed a recipe that had been "adapted from Mary Engelbreit's Fan Fare" recipe book.  For starters I cut the sugar down from 2-1/2 cups (!!!) to 1-1/2 cups.  I have a firm rule about sugar and nearly always half any recipe I get ... but in my opinion the sugar should never be close to the quantity of flour - yikes!  I also left out the vanilla - actually I forgot it the 2nd time and noticed no difference.  I also cut back a tad on the oil and upped the poppy seeds!

1 comment:

  1. I agree on the burger with the works thing! Sad when Mcdonalds' burgers excite me. I also miss Taco Bell and refried beans...and Costco sized sour cream, mini bagels (or bagels in general), English muffins, and of course bottomless fries and unlimited refills...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...