Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cobbler

Cobbler ... of any kind works for me, but plum is my favorite and peach is just lovely.

This is my mom's recipe that I grew up on ... many many memories of yummmeeee plum cobbler made with those big fat juicy black-skinned with golden flesh plums.  Plus season was always the best, after school we would go by gather up huge bowls of plums. Shaking the tree asking it to give us more, which it happily did.  It was a huge tree and I couldn't even begin to guess how many bushels of plums mom would can, freeze or dry.

This recipe is plenty for a 9x13 pan. Tonight I made about 2/3 of the recipe for an oval dish that will serve the two of us nicely today and tomorrow, unless I have some for breakfast.

Put your fruit of choice in the bottom of the pan ... remove pits of course and cut into good-sized chunks.  I'll confess and admit that I used canned peaches tonight. Sorry, I needed cobbler and we had *nothing* fresh in the house. This was my substitute 4th of July pie!


Cobbler Topping

3/4 Cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup milk
1 Cup flour


Mix the topping together and drop by spoonfuls onto the fruit.  Mix 1/2 C sugar and 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and sprinkle over the top.  Then pour over 1/4 Cup warm water.   It might look strange, but trust me .. you'll get the best syrupy fruity flavor at the bottom and a lovely crunchy top ... but see that spot where you can see the dry sugar, I should have mixed that in - it was still there when I took it out of the oven.

Bake for 45 minutes at 375F / 190C.

The hole in the middle, that was me checking to see if it was done .. tonight it took over an hour to bake but I only just realized that I didn't have the oven hot enough because, yep, I did the math wrong again.

Word of caution: allow to cool ... the hot fruit can cause terrible burns - trust me!

I don't know why, but our cobbler is always served upside down.  Is yours?
This is lovely topped with vanilla ice cream, but completely unnecessary in my opinion.  Happy 4th everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...